Residency in USA
Residency Application Requirement for International Medical Graduates (IMGs):
(Physician who receive a medical degree from a medical school outside the US):
USMLE Exams through ECFMG.
Education Commission for foreign medical graduates (ECFMG):
You must be certified by ECFMG before you apply for medical residency in the United States. Visit www.ecfmg.org for more information.
- Requirement for ECFMG Certification:
Consult the World Directory of Medical Schools to confirm that students and graduates from your medical school are eligible and if you are eligible, the next step would be USMLE exams
- Exams Requirement:
IMGs must pass
Basic Science Exam: USMLE Step-1
Clinic Knowledge Exam: USMLE Step-2 CK
Clinical Skill Exam: USMLE Step 2-CS
Note: Detailed information on the USMLE is available at www.usmle.org. Exams can be taken throughout the year.
Summary: Apply through ECFMG for USMLE/ECFMG identification no. Once you have USMLE identification no. you can complete the application for ECFMG certification online through their website and may apply for the USMLE exam.
- Once you pass USMLE Step 1, Step 2 CK, and Step 2 CS exam. You are eligible to apply for an ECFMG certificate.
Remember: USMLE Step 3 is not a requirement to apply for an ECFMG certificate.
Applying for Medical Residency in the United State:
ECFMG coordinates the ERAS application process for IMGs.
- You passed USMLE Step1, Step 2 CK, and Step 2 CS and you are ECFMG certified.
- MSPE scores/Dean’s Letter
- CV and Personal Statement
- Letters of Recommendation
- IMGs who are not citizens or lawful permanent residents must obtain the appropriate visa. The two most common visas are the H1-B (Temporary Worker) or the J-1 (Exchange Visitor). Some institutions will sponsor the visa for residents in the residency program.
- Many residencies list their program requirements for applicants on their websites, such as medical school graduation year, about visa, or the number of allowed attempts on the USMLE. Research residency requirements before applying and direct the submission of your applications appropriately.
The Fellowship and Residency Electronic Interactive Database Access is the online directory of graduate medical education programs sponsored by the American Medical Association (AMA).
The Accreditation Council on Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) also offers a residency directory at acgme.org/ads/Public/Programs/Search.
Talk to us when you are preparing your medical residency application. Call (773) 786-9927
Contact us for more information about the different services we offer. We proudly work with medical students throughout the state to help them achieve their professional goals. With our help, you can rest easy knowing that you are going to understand the application, interview, and intern process from front to back. With this knowledge, you will be better prepared for any challenges that may come your way.