To say that a lot is riding on USMLE test day is an understatement, without a doubt. You’ve studied, sweated, worried, and wondered, and now the day is finally here.
How do you make the most of it? How do you focus on the task at hand and make it through the test? At Differential Diagnosis, we’ve got a lot of experience in helping students with USMLE prep in Chicago, IL, and we have written this blog post to give you some pointers to get through this day you’ve worked so hard to reach.
You need to:
- Get plenty of rest and adjust your sleep schedule so that when test day comes, you won’t be dragging yourself out of bed at an unfamiliar time.
- Don’t cram on test day. It won’t help and will stress you out. You will need your mental reserves as the day goes on. Use the time for relaxation, food, and a bathroom break.
- Take a healthy lunch, snacks, and drinks. Also, ensure you are dressed comfortably.
- Don’t linger on questions; if you get hung up on one, make a note of it and move on. You can always come back to the question later if you have time.
- Don’t skip breaks. They give you a chance to recharge and maybe relax if you’re lucky.
- When the day is done, treat yourself. You’ve earned it through hard work and USMLE prep.